Friday, October 22, 2010

DiPietro All for Stopping Cancer & Puck



  New York Islanders goaltender Rick DiPietro will be making a great supportive move in the fight against cancer this month as he will be sporting pink pads.

  Unfortunately you don’t have to look too hard to find someone that has been directly effected by this deadly disease. Two of my best friends, my brother in-law, and many others I know and love have been changed forever from this disease. Many athletes as well have suffered, and the fight that the NHL and other major sports programs have done in support is a tremendous effort that should be recognized and applauded.

  DiPietro, too, is one of the many NHL players to have felt the impact of cancer as his wife’s aunt passed away with Cancer.

"I wear the ribbon on my mask," said DiPietro. "It gives us an opportunity to donate some money to charity -- hopefully we'll auction those things off -- and I have some pink sticks coming as well. I think Bauer's going to make up a bunch of extra sets (of pads), and see if we can't help out."

  The NHL has run a great foundation entitled “Hockey Fights Cancer” which is a program that collects donations through merchandise sales and promotions. There have been many NHL players effected personally by cancer such as the great Mario Lemieux, Saku Koivu, and Jason Blake just to name a few.

  DiPietro isn’t concerned with any type of a fashion statement, his love for the game has never died through his injury prone career and his support for this important cause is something that he is proud of. His starts this year have been split up with teammate Dwayne Roloson, but DiPietro remains optimistic and energized for a triumphant return.
"I can't sit here and tell you it's been easy," he said. "A lot of dark days, a lot of times where you don't think you're going to make it.” he said."You've just go to keep battling. I always just kept telling myself that the light at the end of the tunnel was coming and all the hard work was going to eventually pay off."
  Dipietro’s chronic knee problems have only seen him in 13 games over the last two years, but he has appeared 3 times already this season.

"Listen man, one per cent of the entire world gets to be a professional athlete and I'm one of them," said DiPietro. "I feel truly blessed (and) lucky. As far as taking positives out of what's happened, I can't tell you how much of the little stuff you take for granted when you're here. When you're away from the game, you get a chance to see how truly lucky you are.

"Times I used to get mad when I got hit in the face with the puck, I'm just happy (now) that the puck is hitting me and I get a chance to stop the puck. You know what I mean?"

*NHL.com

  Hockey Fights Cancer is a component of the NHL's "Biggest Assist Happens off the Ice" campaign, the League's long-standing tradition of addressing important social issues in North America and around the world.
Hockey Fights Cancer is a joint initiative founded in December 1998 by the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association to raise money and awareness for hockey's most important fight.

  It is supported by NHL Member Clubs, NHL Alumni, the NHL Officials' Association, Professional Hockey Trainers and Equipment Managers, corporate marketing partners, broadcast partners and fans throughout North America.

  To date, more than $11 million has been raised to support national and local cancer research institutions, Children's Hospitals, player charities and local cancer organizations.


-    Kendall Grubbs

No comments:

Post a Comment